American Girl charactersPrint
Introduced in 1986, the historical characters give girls an engaging glimpse into important times in America's past. Each character's story is told in a series of compelling books, focusing on such themes as family, school, holiday, birthday, summer, and winter adventures. Gentle life lessons throughout the stories remind girls of such lasting values as the importance of family and friends, compassion, responsibility, and forgiveness. Each book concludes with a nonfiction picture essay, "A Peek into the Past," that further explores the character's historical period. Our historical characters currently include:
- Kaya®, an adventurous Nez Perce girl growing up in 1764, before America became a country
- Caroline®, a brave girl who helps her family safely navigate the War of 1812
- Josefina®, a girl living in colonial New Mexico in 1824 during the opening of the Santa Fe Trail
- Marie-Grace® and Cécile®, two girls reaching across boundaries to form a friendship in New Orleans in 1853
- Addy®, a courageous girl from 1864, determined to be free during the Civil War
- Rebecca®, a lively girl with dramatic flair growing up in New York City in 1914
- Kit®, a clever, resourceful girl growing up in 1934 during America's Great Depression
- Julie®, a fun-loving girl growing up in San Francisco during the seventies
To bring the stories to life, skilled designers have created a beautifully crafted 18-inch doll for each character, along with historically accurate clothing and accessories evoking her world and adventures. By reading the stories and playing with the dolls, girls can learn how growing up has changed—and how it has stayed the same—throughout American history.
Girl of the Year® characters
American Girl's contemporary Girl of the Year line of 18-inch dolls, books, and accessories for girls age 8 and up reflects the interests and experiences of real girls today.
Introduced in 2001, the Girl of the Year line gives voice to a diverse range of personalities and backgrounds through inspiring, relatable characters that instill a sense of pride in girls and show them there is no limit to what they can accomplish. The Girl of the Year line empowers girls to feel connected, and gives them the confidence to take action and make a difference.
Each Girl of the Year character comes to life through her own special story and 18-inch doll, plus several outfits and accessories that reflect her lifestyle, interests, and activities. In addition to the books and products, the Girl of the Year line offers an array of fun and engaging activities to help girls further explore the character's world, such as live-action movies, online games and apps, retail events and experiences, and learning guides.
A new Girl of the Year character is introduced annually to ensure that the line remains relevant and reflective of things girls love today.
For a free American Girl catalogue featuring the American Girl character dolls, books, and accessories, call 800-845-0005 or visit americangirl.com.