Make a work space that can go with your girl anywhere
1. Cut a piece of cardboard to fit the lid of a flat plastic box. Use double-sided tape to cover the cardboard with colorful scrapbook paper.
2. Attach the cardboard to the lid using a clear adhesive sheet. Cover box sides with decorative packaging tape.
3. Store school supplies, extra paper, and whatever else your girl needs in the car.
Grab her mini desk when you’re on the go!
For more clever craft ideas,
Take these tasty granola bars with you
These granola bars taste way better than anything you can buy at the store. Substitute your favorite nuts and dried fruits for the ones listed below, but make sure the nuts you use are raw, not roasted or toasted, since they will cook in the oven.
Makes 16 bars
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and line it with parchment paper, extending the paper up and over the sides on two sides. Butter the paper.
- On a rimmed baking sheet, combine the oats, almonds, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds. Bake, stirring once or twice, just until golden, about 8 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Stir in the currants and cranberries and set aside. Reduce the oven temperature to 300°F.
- In a small saucepan, combine the butter, honey, sugar, vanilla, and salt. Set the pan over medium heat and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring often. Cook for about 30 seconds, or until the butter is fully melted. Pour the mixture over the oat mixture and stir gently until evenly moistened. Scoop the mixture into the prepared baking dish and let cool slightly.
- Using dampened hands, press the mixture into an even layer. Bake until golden around the edges, about 20 minutes. Set the baking dish on a wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes. Using the parchment paper as handles, lift the granola out of the pan and place it directly on the rack. Let cool completely.
- Transfer the granola onto a cutting board. To cut the bars, make 3 evenly spaced lengthwise cuts and 3 evenly spaced crosswise cuts across the granola. Serve the bars right away or store them in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Download these games to help make the miles fly by