Cook Something Bold: Easy Ham and Cheese Panini RecipeRecipes
November 1, 2017
A panini is a sandwich that’s pressed during cooking so that the bread becomes nice and crisp and the cheese gets extra gooey. For the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich, skip the roasted pepper and ham and use two or three different types of cheese.
Ham, Cheese & Roasted Red Pepper Panini
Makes 2 Panini
YOU WILL NEED:
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 8 slices provolone, Monterey Jack, or Swiss cheese
- 1 jarred roasted red pepper, drained and finely chopped
- 4 slices Black Forest ham or honey ham
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Lay 2 of the bread slices on a clean work surface and top each with 2 slices of cheese, half of the chopped roasted pepper, 2 slices of ham, and another 2 slices of cheese. Top each sandwich with 1 of the remaining bread slices. Spread the butter on the outside of the sandwiches, dividing it evenly among the sides.
- Place a griddle or large nonstick frying pan over medium heat and let it heat for 3 minutes. Put the panini on the griddle and cook, turning once, until golden brown on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side. As the panini cook, use a wide metal spatula to gently press them down once or twice on each side.
- Using the spatula, transfer the panini to a cutting board. Let cool for 1 to 2 minutes to let the cheese set slightly. Cut each panini in half diagonally. Serve right away.
American Girl Cooking. © 2016 Weldon Owen, Inc., Williams-Sonoma, Inc., and American Girl. American Girl and associated
trademarks are owned by and used under license from American Girl.