These Veggie-Rific Cupcakes tuck your veggies into an amazing cupcake that’s topped with yummy cream cheese frosting!
Carrot Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
You will need:
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Cup brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 Teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 Cups peeled and grated carrots
- 3/4 Cup vegetable oil
- 4 Large eggs
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon vanilla extract
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
You will need:
- 1 (8-ounce) Package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 Tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 Teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 Cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line 18 cups (of two 12-cup muffin pans) with paper or foil liners.
- To make the cupcakes, in a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. In a small bowl, combine the carrots, oil, eggs, and vanilla and whisk until blended. Add the carrot mixture to the flour mixture and stir with a rubber spatula just until blended.
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups. Put the pans in the oven and bake until a wooden skewer inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean (ask an adult for help!), 16 to 18 minutes. Ask an adult to help you remove the pans from the oven and set them on wire racks. Let the cupcakes cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then lift them out and set them directly on the racks. Let cool completely.
- To make the frosting, in a bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Turn off the mixer. Sift the powdered sugar through a fine-mesh sieve, ½ cup at a time, over the cream cheese mixture, then beat well after each addition. Turn off the mixer and scrape down the bowl with a rubber spatula. The frosting should be spreadable. If it’s too soft, refrigerate it for about 15 minutes.
- Using a small icing spatula or a butter knife, frost the cupcakes and serve.