10 Questions to Ask About Overnight Camp, from Our Friends at the ACAAdvice
Part I of this series offered tips and advice from the American Camp Association® on How to Choose A Day Camp for your girl. Perhaps, though, your girl is ready for a different kind of adventure. If so, maybe it is time to explore an overnight, or resident, camp!
Questions to Consider when Selecting a Resident Camp
Reprinted by permission of the American Camp Association
Most Resident Camps offer a variety of programs for children starting at age seven. Resident camp options include coed, single sex and specialty camps that focus on a particular program. Resident camps offer varying overnight accommodations such as cabins, tents, and tepees. Think about what you want in a camp before you enroll your child:
1. What locale do I want to consider? (mountains, oceanfront, distance from home)
2. Do I want a traditional camp that gives my child a wide variety of experiences or do I want to select a specialty camp that focuses on a particular activity or set of skills?
3. What size enrollment will make my child feel comfortable?
4. How rustic do I want the camp to be?
5. How structured do I want the program to be? Does my child like to have lots of choice in the activity schedule?
6. Is my child ready to sleep away from home for an extended stay? This will help you to select either a resident or day camp setting.
7. What session length will appeal to my child and to our family plans for the summer? (One week? Eight weeks?)
8. How can I stay in touch with my child during camp? Does the camp allow mail, phone calls or e-mail? Does the camp have parent visitation days?
9. How will the camp meet my child's special dietary or physical needs?
10. What is my budget for camp tuition? Remember, many camps offer financial aid.
ACA's Camp Database is a great tool for finding a match for your girl's interests and your budget, location, and schedule. Parents may call ACA National Headquarters at 800-428-CAMP for further information about specific camps or for the ACA local office in their region.
Does your girl, like Luciana, reach for the stars?
Space Camp® is proud to partner with American Girl® to offer two weeklong camps for students ages 9-12 and three family camp weekends for parents and grandparents who attend with children ages 7 and up. These camps will feature special American Girl activities centered around Luciana and her camp experience. Learn more, or sign up, here. Then download and print this fun, easy packing checklist from Space Camp.
Reprinted by permission of the American Camp Association. ©2018, American Camping Association, Inc.
All American Girl marks are trademarks of American Girl. © 2018 American Girl.
The American Camp Association® (ACA) is a national organization with more than 11,000 individual members and 3,000 member camps. ACA is committed to collaborating with those who believe in quality camp and outdoor experiences for children, you, and adults. ACA provides advocacy and evidence-based education and professional development and is the only national accrediting body for the organized camp experience. ACA accredits approximately 2,400 diverse camps nationally. Accreditation provides public evidence of a camp's voluntary commitment to the health, safety, and overall well-being of both campers and staff. For more information, visit www.ACAcamps.org.