Ice Cream Sandwiches from Williams-Sonoma® and American GirlRecipes
WHAT’S MORE DELICIOUS THAN A BOWLFUL OF YOUR FAVORITE ICE CREAM? A BIG, MELTY SCOOP SMASHED BETWEEN TWO CRISPY-CHEWY CHOCOLATE COOKIES!
Ice Cream Sandwiches
Makes about 15 sandwiches
You will need:
- 1 CUP SEMISWEET CHOCOLATE CHIPS
- 1/2 CUP (1 STICK) UNSALTED BUTTER
- 1/4 CUP LIGHT CORN SYRUP
- 1 CUP ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR
- 1/2 TEASPOON BAKING SODA
- 1/4 TEASPOON SALT
- 1/2 CUP SUGAR
- 1 LARGE EGG
- 1 TEASPOON VANILLA EXTRACT
- SPRINKLES, SMALL CANDIES, CHOPPED TOASTED NUTS, MINI CHOCOLATE CHIPS, OR CRUSHED COOKIES, FOR DECORATING
- 1 QUART ICE CREAM (YOUR FAVORITE FLAVOR), SOFTENED
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Position 2 racks in the over so that they are evenly spaced. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a saucepan, combine the chocolate chips, butter, and corn syrup. Place the pan over medium-low heat. Warm the mixture until the butter melts. Don’t let the chocolate get too hot! Remove the pan from the heat and stir the chocolate mixture with a rubber spatula until it is melted and smooth. Using the rubber spatula, scrape the mixture into a large bowl and let cool. In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add the sugar to the cooled chocolate mixture and stir well with a wooden spoon. Stir in the egg and vanilla until blended. Scrape down the bowl with the rubber spatula. Add half of the flour mixture to the chocolate mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until blended. Add the rest of the flour mixture and stir until blended.
- Scoop up a rounded tablespoonful of dough, then use your finger to push the dough onto 1 of the prepared cookie sheets. Repeat with the rest of the dough, spacing the mounds 4 inches apart on the cookie sheets. You should be able to fit 9 cookies on each cookie sheet. With your fingers, pat the mounds of dough to make them as round as possbile so that they will spread into neat circes.
- When both cookie sheets are full, bake the cookies until they puff and then begin to sink, 10 to 12 minutes. Don’t overbake them, or they will become too crunchy. Remove the cookie sheets from the oven and set them on wire racks. Let cool for 15 minutes, then use a metal spatula to move the cookies directly to the racks. Let cool completely. Repeat to bake the rest of the dough.
- Put the sprinkles and/or other decorations into small bowls. Turn half of the cookies bottom side up and top with a scoop of ice cream. Place a second cookie flat side down on top of the ice cream. One at a time, pick up the ice cream sandwiches and gently press teh cookies together to squish the ice cream all the way to the edges. Roll the ice cream edges to the decoratoins until coated all around.
- Wrap each ice cream sandwich in plastic wrap and freeze until firm, at least 2 hours. Serve with lots of napkins.
Excerpted from American Girl Baking cookbook. American Girl Publishing, 2015. All rights reserved.