Make-Ahead Breakfast BurritosRecipes
YOU WILL NEED:
- Eggs (2 per burrito)
- Black beans
- Aluminum foil
- Start with simple scrambled eggs to use as a burrito filling: Crack 2 large eggs into a small mixing bowl. Add 2 teaspoons milk and a pinch of salt and pepper. Whisk the eggs until blended.
- Place a medium-sized skillet on the stove. Put 2 tablespoons butter in the skillet, and turn the burner to medium-low heat. Once the butter melts, slowly add the eggs.
- Occasionally stir the eggs while they cook. As soon as the eggs are solid and there is no liquid left, turn off the heat. Spoon the warm eggs onto a tortilla.
- While the eggs are still hot, place toppings on the eggs and wrap up the burrito. Note: avoid adding toppings with a high water content, like tomatoes or salsa, at this stage. They may make your tortilla too soggy once stored.
- Wrap the burritos tightly in foil, and place them in a resealable food storage bag. Keep the burritos in the refrigerator or cooler until you are ready to heat them.
- At your campsite, remove the burritos from the cooler and storage bag, and place the foil-wrapped burritos directly on the hot coals next to your campfire. Turn them once or twice until they are heated through, about 15 minutes (depending on the temperature of—and their proximity to—the fire).
Adapted from American Girl magazine, May/June 2018.
© 2018 American Girl. All American Girl marks are trademarks of American Girl.