This story is scary,
but don't worry — it has a happy ending.

Have you ever seen a miracle happen? Two winters ago, I did. It all started when a friend spent the night. It was snowing. The next morning we went sledding. It was cold that day. The snow was super slick and icy.

I asked my mom if we could go to our neighbor’s hill and take my dog, Buddy. She said, “Sure.” But she also said, “Don’t go any farther than that.” After a while, we walked over to another hill by a pond not far away. We were hanging out and sledding. Then all of a sudden I saw Buddy walk out onto the ice. I got scared when he walked to the middle of the pond. The ice was thin there.

We called for Buddy and yelled for him to get away from there, but he didn’t listen. Then suddenly the ice broke, and my dog fell in the water. I panicked. There were so many things going through my mind. I asked my friend if I should go in and get him out.

She said, “NO!”

Instead, I ran to my house to tell my mom. It was hard running in my puffy snow clothes and boots and with all the snow and ice on the ground. I was tired, but I had to help Buddy.

When my mom heard what happened, all she said was, “Get in the car, Bry.”

When we got there, she told me to run home again and get her phone. I ran back again, and then I called my dad. But back at the pond, my mom tried to go out on the ice with a sled. I didn’t know it yet, but she had fallen through the ice, too.

Luckily, my friend saw it happen. She ran to a neighbor’s house for help. Soon an ambulance came. My mom got out of the water, but Buddy was still swimming for his life. The fire department put a ladder out onto the ice to get him, but it didn’t work. I was back again by then, and someone said my friend and I should wait inside the neighbor’s house. It didn’t look good for Buddy. I went inside and cried and hoped for a miracle.

Then, the next thing I knew, my uncle walked into the house with Buddy in his arms! I was so happy, but Buddy was so cold and wet. He had been treading icy water for about 45 minutes.

A neighbor had managed to break enough ice for Buddy to dog-paddle out, and firefighters helped, too. We got Buddy into a warm bath, fast.

We all hugged Buddy and told him he was a good boy. Later that day, my friend and I went back out sledding again, but this time we left Buddy at home. And I made sure not to go any farther than my mom said I could.