Greek Salad Pitas from Williams-Sonoma® and American GirlRecipes
Stuffed pita sandwiches are perfect outdoor fare and great on the go. Enjoy this recipe for Greek Salad Pitas from Williams Sonoma™ and American Girl.
GREEK SALAD PITAS
YOU WILL NEED:
- 2 regular or whole-wheat pita breads
- 1 cup chopped romaine lettuce
- ¼ English cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 large plum tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped pitted black olives (optional)
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese or goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic or red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup hummus
- 1 cup chopped or shredded cooked chicken
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Stack the pita breads and cut them in half. Wrap the halves in aluminum foil. Place in the oven to warm for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the lettuce, cucumber, tomato, olives (if using), and cheese. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil and vinegar, season with salt, and then drizzle the mixture over the salad. Using tongs, toss to combine.
- Remove the pita breads from the oven and unwrap them. Spread the inside of each pita with 1 tablespoon hummus. Add the chicken, dividing evenly. Spoon the salad inside, dividing it evenly. Serve right away.
Excerpted from American Girl Cooking cookbook. American Girl Publishing, 2016. All rights reserved.
Copyright ©2016 by Weldon Owen, Inc., Williams-Sonoma, Inc., and American Girl