Turkey, Avocado, & Havarti Pinwheels from Williams-Sonoma® and American GirlRecipes
These playful pinwheel-shaped sandwich bites can be made using any type of flour tortilla, but for a fun and colorful presentation, triple the recipe and use three different-colored tortillas.
TURKEY, AVOCADO & HAVARTI PINWHEELS
Makes about 16 pinwheels.
YOU WILL NEED:
- ½ ripe avocado
- 2 (8-inch) spinach, tomato, or whole-wheat flour tortillas
- 2 ounces sliced havarti cheese
- 3 to 4 ounces sliced smoked or roasted turkey
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
If the avocado half contains the pit, use a spoon to scoop out the pit and discard. Carefully peel off the skin, put the flesh in a small bowl, and roughly mash.
- Place the tortillas in a single layer on a cookie sheet.
Place the cheese on the tortillas, dividing it evenly and tearing it into smaller pieces so it covers the tortilla evenly. Bake until the cheese melts, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the cookie sheet from the oven. Transfer the tortillas to a cutting board. Carefully arrange the turkey slices over the cheese, leaving about 1 inch uncovered on one side. Spread the mashed avocado on top of the turkey. Starting on the turkey-covered side opposite the uncovered side, tightly roll up each tortilla into a cylinder (the exposed melted cheese will act as a glue to hold the cylinder together).
- Trim off the ends of each cylinder. Discard (or eat!) the ends, and then slice each cylinder crosswise into 8 pinwheels. Serve right away.
Excerpted from American Girl Parties cookbook. American Girl Publishing, 2016. All rights reserved.
Copyright ©2016 by Weldon Owen, Inc., Williams-Sonoma, Inc., and American Girl