Homemade Cocoa CakeRecipes
MIX UP A HOMEMADE CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH
A SUGARY DESIGN ON TOP!
Cocoa Cake Recipe
You will need:
- 1 1/2 CUPS FLOUR
- 1 CUP GRANULATED SUGAR
- 1/3 CUP BAKING COCOA
- 1 TEASPOON BAKING SODA
- 1/2 TEASPOON SALT
- 1/2 CUP CHOCOLATE CHIPS
- 6 TABLESPOONS VEGETABLE OIL
- 1 TABLESPOON WHITE VINEGAR
- 1 TEASPOON VANILLA
- 1 CUP COLD WATER
- 1/3 CUP POWDERED SUGAR
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. While the oven preheats, measure the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, salt, and chocolate chips into a mixing bowl. Stir until combined.
- Add the oil, vinegar, and water to the dry ingredients. Stir until the wet and dry ingredients are combined.
- Pour the batter into a greased and floured 9-inch round pan. Bake the cake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick poked into the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 30 minutes. Then remove the cake from the pan by turning it upside-down on a plate. (Careful! The pan will still be hot.)
- Once the cake has cooled completely, it’s ready to decorate! To create a stencil, place a cookie cutter on parchment paper and trace around it. Then cut out the shape using scissors. You can use any shape you’d like.
- Place the stencil on the top of the cake and smooth it out. Pour 1/3 cup powdered sugar in a fine mesh strainer. Gently shake the strainer over the top of the cake, covering the cake and stencil with a thin layer of powdered sugar. Carefully peel off the stencil to reveal the design!
Excerpted from the March/April 2016 issue of American Girl® magazine, available now on newsstands.